This is My Story
I was born in Fort Worth and grew up in Decatur, Texas. My wife Rachel and I met in Greek class, fell in love, and married in 1990. We have four boys (Seth, Andrew, Matthew, and Enoch).
I have a B.A. in Bible and an M.A. in the New Testament from Freed-Hardeman University, as well as an M.A. in the Old Testament from Harding School of Theology. I’m currently pursuing a D.Min. degree from Abilene Christian University. Rachel has a B.A. in Bible from FHU and an M.A. in Christian Ministry from Oklahoma Christian University. She is the Children’s & Youth Librarian for the Cleburne Public Library and is part of the writing team for Mosaic. We’ve ministered in Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and now live in Cleburne, Texas where I preach for the Westhill Church of Christ.
Since 2011, I’ve been teaching online courses for Harding University’s Center for Distance Education in Bible and Ministry. I teach Israelite History (covering Joshua-Esther) and a Capstone in Christian Ministry course. Through my work with Harding and Oklahoma Christian as an adjunct, I’ve had students from more than a dozen countries on six continents.
I served on the President’s Council of Eastern European Mission from 2009 until 2012, and still try to promote it whenever I get the chance. I love their mission and motto: “The Bible. We Want Everyone to Get It.” Rachel and I are very passionate about missions, and have been a part of mission efforts and visits in Zimbabwe, Slovakia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Guyana (4 years), Greece, Turkey, Israel, and the Dominican Republic. As a disciple of Jesus, I am passionate about sharing God’s word and promoting the work of God’s Spirit to transform lives into the image of Jesus.
Fun stuff: I love music, playing guitar, songwriting, reading, being a Dallas Mavericks fan (MFFL!), Dallas Cowboys fan, and spending time with my family.
I’ll list below a sampling of some of the projects and publications to which I’ve contributed through the years.
A few of my hymns:
- “I Love the Lord Who Hears My Voice” (Ps. 116; co-written with Randy Daw); “Greater Than I Understand” (Ps. 138); and “Come Sing in Celebration” (Ps. 145) in Timeless: Ancient Psalms for the Church Today (Vol. 3) forthcoming by ACU Press
- “Refuge of My Soul” (Ps. 43) in Timeless: Ancient Psalms for the Church Today (Vol. 2) published by ACU Press (2013); released on iTunes (2019)
- “How Precious Is Your Steadfast Love” (Ps. 36) in Timeless: Ancient Psalms for the Church Today (Vol. 1) published by ACU Press (2011); included on CD/released on iTunes (2017); performed by ACU A Cappella Chorus (opening night of Summit, 2016)
A few of my articles:
- Review of the College Press NIV Commentary Series with Dr. Harold Shank for The Christian Chronicle (“Bible Commentary is Scholarly Yet Easy to Use,” Nov. 1, 2010)
- Lead article for The Bridge newsletter of Harding School of Theology (“How Congregations Can Support Campus Ministry,” Summer 2005)
- Articles in Power for Today, Church & Family Magazine, Adult Bible Quarterly, Gospel Advocate, newspapers, and other publications